Tuesday, October 2, 2018

Printmaking : Personal Symbols


Today's assignment was to narrow down my symbols into something more personal. Something that I can personally connect with. The first symbol I chose to draw was a set of suitcases. This represents leaving home or moving away. Because of my journey as an immigrant, airports has always been a very nostalgic, but also painful memory for me. When we first came over I not only missed my family, but also what connected me to home, the food. I missed waking up to a fresh bowl of Pho every morning before school. Since I was very homesick my mom packed a lot of Vietnamese food for me to have during lunch. This was a very loving gesture, however it also brought me many unwanted attention. The food are symbolized in a bowl of pho and a boxed lunch. Another thing I missed about my home country is the freedom of running on the open road. I drew a bare feet running to symbolize this freedom I felt when I was at home. The final symbol I chose was a necklace. Before my first day of school in America, my grandmother gave a silver necklace with an emblem of the Virgin Mary on it. This necklace was suppose to protect me, however it was a target of strangers. I was beaten up on my way back from school and the necklace was stolen from me.

No comments:

Post a Comment