Wednesday, August 29, 2018

Motion Project Take Away



I came into this class expecting almost anything could happen. However, my mindset was still set on the stereotypical classroom art setting of sitting around and creating a completed piece. My expectations went out the window as soon as Chris introduced us to a new material, bamboo. I've seen and used them my whole life, but actually working with them was a different story. The limited flexibility presented its own challenges. In the beginning I did not know the limitation of the bamboo, therefore I snapped a lot of them. This caused me to become very frustrated and wanted to give up. However after working with the bamboo for a few projects, I began to work with the bamboo instead of forcing it. Knowing when the breaking point of the bamboo became almost second nature. This taught me a valuable lesson of knowing what your materials are capable of. It is far easier to work with the materials than against it. The bamboo also helped me visually, by presenting a physical piece of work that shows the motions. The loops, line weight, and directions of the lines all play a major role in helping the composition of the piece flow. Details became more important and vital. Small details such as strings dangling from the bamboo could change the entire piece. Working with a three dimensional object also helped me see the importance of perspective. Viewing the piece from different angles completely changes the mood and motions of the piece. I’ve become more aware of the motions and movements within my own artwork. I’ve incorporate color contrasts and lines to guide the eye toward the most important part of the work. Chris wanted us to experiment and take risks throughout this entire project, and because of this I’ve personally felt that I’ve stepped out of my comfort zone more. Asking “what if” and then forcing myself to go through with it instead of just letting it become another random thought. The project has also taught me to let go of my perfectionist views. I don’t have to make a piece pretty. The pressure of having grades placed on my project disappeared. This allowed me to experiment more, to take more risks, and overall to just enjoy myself while working. My peers became an enormous source of inspiration. From just simply walking around the classroom and looking at everyone’s work to class critiques, I was able to push my artwork further than if I had worked on it all alone. I’ve learned so much more than I could’ve hope for within the first week, and I can’t wait for what’s to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment